Sunday, April 05, 2009

Dilli Diaries 1 - Traffic Banter

[Famous Chandni Chowk traffic]
I was itching to write about Dilli (for others it's Delhi, but for us it's good old Dilli), for a long time. There are so many things about this beautiful place that are close to my heart. Sometimes, when I sit down and think about the moments I have spent in this eternal city, it opens a Pandora's box of memories. I never wanted a long life, in fact, I always wanted to live for 35 years, no more. This isn't because I don't like to live. It's just that I don't want a long life, I want a big life. What is life, except those moments that you created and faced. And Dilli is the city of moments.

If I got a chance to choose my place of birth again, I won't swap it for anyplace else. Not many would but it's not because I was born here. But because, it's more than just a place of birth for me. A place that I keep coming back to whenever life breaks me down. It's a place that don't ask questions, that don't judge, that don't prove theories, that don't argue. Dilli is pure heart. When you reach this place, there's nothing more than open arms that wait for you. And it's not sentimental. Dilli is a heart-centric city. I carry the spirit of this city within me. A spirit that knows how to go with the flow, that opens its heart to strangers and let them be friends.

Dilli is often called Dilwalon Ki Dilli (Delhi of those who have a heart). It's not an undue sobriquet. But we Dilli-walah aren't your run-of-the-mill maudlin straight guys. We are equally sharp-tongued when we want to be. If you don't believe me, just try to be a hot-shot biker on the Dilli roads, you won't cross a Km before hearing a barrage of Ma-xxx and Behan-xxx stuff. Hey, just because we don't say it doesn't mean we don't know it. So, don't let the pleasant nature fool you. Think twice before getting on the wrong side. The good thing is, it's all forgotten quickly.

Traffic situations are really something that gives you an idea about this place. These days, the traffic isn't such a big issue because of the Metro and the non-stop flyovers but sometimes you do get stuck. And I remember being in the middle of a 2Km jam with the temperature right up at 45. Sometimes, somebody gets really pissed and start giving horns. And immediately you'd see the "take-off" gesture. It's one of my personal favorites. And you'd see an immediate smile on the horn-blower. If you're thirsty, just ask the car-walah standing next to you if he's got some water and he'd hand you over whatever little he's got. Chilled or boiling, but he'll share. And sometimes you'd meet some Sardar Ji, he'd say something like - "Yaar, is baar te ruj ke garmi payi hai (Yaar, this time the heat has really come down hard)". His back would be wet with sweat and he'd have some boxes on his old Chetak scooter, a middle class businessman, heading to Daryaganj or Karol Bagh. And I'd reply, "O ji, is baar April wich hi chali paunch gaya hai, agge pata nai ki hoyega (This time, the temp. has hit 40 in April itself. Don't know what'll happen next)". Sardar Ji - "Yaar, lassi wassi honi chaidi ai naal". And we'd babble about other stuff and when the traffic opens we'd be off to our own destinations. But that's how things go.
Check this for more on my birth city: http://thedelhiwalla.blogspot.com/

No comments: