Thursday, March 12, 2009

Oratory of Socrates and Osho...

I've read more of Osho than Socrates but whatever little I've read of the two there seems to be a definite correlation in their ways. I don't see them as chastening influences on their generation. I'm not bothered about whether Socrates' main aim was the realization of virtue nor about Osho's spirituality. Of course, these men are known for these things to wide audience but there's something more to them then just that.

The thing that fascinates me is the oratory of these two men. I've not read Osho as much for the spiritual guidance as for the use of language that he makes. Some might say that I'm picking stones when the greatest jewel is on offer but it's merely a question of perspective. A hungry man won't be tempted by jewels nor a thirsty one by the choicest of foods.

Both these men had a sarcastic touch to their tones and a readiness to declare another man as a lesser which goes against my idea of a wise man. I might be wrong but it's something that I feel hard to digest. Of what use are these things to a wise man? A man content with himself and the world would have peace of mind and a lightness of heart. Sarcasm is born out of disappointment in a proud man, and the need to show other men as lesser from insecurity. A wise man must have crossed these things long before in his path. Or is it possible to be wise with these failings? But if you're wise, then you must know your shortcomings and strive to correct them, rather then persist with them. Which brings me to the question, why was it that these two learned and wise men continued with these things? But this is just my first impression, a little gut feeling which quite possibly might be wrong.

But regardless of whether they were wise or not there are many things that can be learnt from them. Every person regardless of his intelligence or his tendencies has something worthwhile to offer and a wise man learns at every possible oppurtunity. And when it comes to oratory, Socrates and Osho are among the very best that I've had the oppurtunity to acquaint with. How foolish would it be to be a slave of conceptions and dogmas and do not benefit from them in learning this skill that they have?

1 comment:

Shashwat said...

Yes, Osho was highly eloquent, hypnotic orator. He was also with his flaws.
The fact that I can learn, would it make me unwise? Am I a flawed character if I float in experience and correct my mistakes, and be still unhappy?
I think somebody, probably Socrates, said the greatest wisdom is to be aware of your own ignorance.

I know I'll remain ignorant of how others think and feel.